A job well done!

On Saturday, March 6th, the 20M SSB net was scheduled for it's regular time at 1500L Early/1600L Comments on 14.265. The NCS for the day was Ned, KL7QK. As I was operating NCS for a local event here in Texas at an EOC, I informed Ned earlier that week that I would not be available that day and he had my full confidence. I was aware of two things at the time:

1- This date was also the scheduled International SSB Contest, and;
2- Last year the Net Manager cancelled the SATERN Net beforehand just for this reason, in anticipation of QRM from the Contest.

As a real-life test of unexpected net difficulties, I decided NOT to cancel the Net beforehand to see how well all the SATERN Operators handled it, and I must say, procedures were followed flawlessly!
Ned selected the best (all things considered) alternate frequency of 14.303MHz, made sure all parties were aware of the switch, both by RF announcements as well as NetLogger chat and ZOOM to the Relay Stations & Logger.
Even though the chosen frequency was soon fully saturated by DX & QRM, Ned still was able to collect a sizeable list of stations, switching from a 'comment' style check in to a 'in and out' style of check in to see how well stations were able to get on the log for the day, and how many viable routes of potential Emergency Traffic could have been handled if SATERN had been activated for a real-life Disaster.
It soon became impossible to continue the full net as normal and Ned terminated the net early as per procedures.

I just wanted to send Kudos to Ned and the relay stations that assisted him. I am truly proud of the job that they did in the face of extremely adverse band conditions. I am sure that any of our regular NCS stations would have done the same if it had been their 'turn at the bat', and It heartens me to know that we have such a fine, professional group of telecommunicators here in SATERN, who are trained and READY to do what needs to get done to get the messages through.

Again, great job, Ned and all!!!

--

'73 (Best Wishes, for non-Hams)

--... ...-- / -.. . / .-- .- ..... .-.. . .

WA5LEE  (Previously KC3LEE)

Lee Glassman, ARRL VE, COM-T, NREMT #E3525310

Tomball, Texas

https://wa5lee.com

SATERN Int’l SSB 20M Net Manager

http://satern.org

KL7QK - Ned

Lee,

I can’t tell you enough how much I appreciate your kind words. Coming from someone I really look up to, it means so much. It was definitely a team effort, especially with Kirc having my back. Speaking of Kirc, how ironic that I could finally hear him directly even with the strong qrm.  Harry, W0HMS, was a big help too.

I hope all went well with the marathons. I bet you had your hands full.

See you in the morning, birthday boy!

Cheers,
Ned KL7QK

On Sun, Mar 7, 2021 at 1:51 PM WA5LEE - Lee - Net Manager via groups.io <leemanpa=me.com@groups.io> wrote:
On Saturday, March 6th, the 20M SSB net was scheduled for it's regular time at 1500L Early/1600L Comments on 14.265. The NCS for the day was Ned, KL7QK. As I was operating NCS for a local event here in Texas at an EOC, I informed Ned earlier that week that I would not be available that day and he had my full confidence. I was aware of two things at the time:

2- Last year the Net Manager cancelled the SATERN Net beforehand just for this reason, in anticipation of QRM from the Contest.

As a real-life test of unexpected net difficulties, I decided NOT to cancel the Net beforehand to see how well all the SATERN Operators handled it, and I must say, procedures were followed flawlessly!
Ned selected the best (all things considered) alternate frequency of 14.303MHz, made sure all parties were aware of the switch, both by RF announcements as well as NetLogger chat and ZOOM to the Relay Stations & Logger.
Even though the chosen frequency was soon fully saturated by DX & QRM, Ned still was able to collect a sizeable list of stations, switching from a 'comment' style check in to a 'in and out' style of check in to see how well stations were able to get on the log for the day, and how many viable routes of potential Emergency Traffic could have been handled if SATERN had been activated for a real-life Disaster.
It soon became impossible to continue the full net as normal and Ned terminated the net early as per procedures.

I just wanted to send Kudos to Ned and the relay stations that assisted him. I am truly proud of the job that they did in the face of extremely adverse band conditions. I am sure that any of our regular NCS stations would have done the same if it had been their 'turn at the bat', and It heartens me to know that we have such a fine, professional group of telecommunicators here in SATERN, who are trained and READY to do what needs to get done to get the messages through.

--

Tomball, Texas

Jim Weeks (N1LGQ)

When are the dates and times for the SATERN HF SSB Net? As a SATERN member I would like to start checking in more frequently.

73, Jim
Jim Weeks - N1LGQ
473 W 300 N
Manti, UT 84642
M: 801.830.8640

On Sun, Mar 7, 2021 at 2:51 PM WA5LEE - Lee - Net Manager via groups.io <leemanpa=me.com@groups.io> wrote:

--

Tomball, Texas

Welcome, Sir! The times & dates for all the SATERN nets are listed on the SATERN.ORG website. However, since you visit the groups.io reflector, just go to the calendar page listed in the left pane. That takes you to the calendar which lists all the Int’l nets. As well as several regional/territory nets.

Once again, pleasure to meet you & hope to hear you on the Net!

--

Tomball, Texas