--**ACTIVATION ALERT**--

ALL SATERN OPERATORS:

Due to the current state of events in the United States, with regard to the Politcal Unrest that has manifested itself in several major US cities, as well as our Nation's Capitol, as well as the possible decrease in stability over the next week, in consultation with the Salvation Army's Emergency Disaster Services, I have decided to place the SATERN 20m Net Resources on HOT STANDBY for the following dates/times:

Monday, Jan. 18th from 4PM EST until 10PM EST
Tuesday, Jan. 19th from 4PM EST until 11PM EST
Wednesday, Jan. 20th, Inauguration Day) from the conclusion of the AM SATERN NET (Noon, EST) until Midnight EST. (DURING THE 20MSSB daily NET, We will possible reduce the amount of comments to allow for Emergency Traffic to be received if needed.

While any event that may occur will most likely not result in Local/Widespread Communications Infrastructure outages, the possibility always exists for the unexpected to occur. Therefore, I am requesting that any experienced Operators with NCS/Relay experience to please contact me at satern@wa5lee with your personal availability on the above times/dates should Emergency Activation be necessary. Although I am NOT, at this point, planning on activating an actual net during these times, I would like to be prepared with personnel to assist should it be necessary. If you have the following abilities:

  • Strong signal reception/transmission into/from major areas where the potential for unrest may occur, such as Washington, DC, New York, Chicago, Los Angeles, Portland, Seattle, etc (you all know the locations I am referring to)
  • Availability to both MONITOR and TRANSMIT on 14.265 and/or 7.265 during those hours
  • Be available for an activation during any of those times to monitor those frequencies as needed
  • Be familiar with ICS/NIMS procedures such as ICS213 forms and traffic handling
Again, I fervently hope that our assistance will not be needed and that our Citizens, Emergency Services Personnel and our Military/National Guard remain safe and secure during the coming period, it is better to be prepared and not needed than to not be prepared and needed. As Amateur Radio Operators, we have shown ourselves to be adaptable to changing conditions and needs as they evolve. As propagation, especially at this time of year, is wholly unpredictable, we must be ready to maintain fluidity in our efforts.

Should an Activation be needed, I will provide an ICS205 Communications Plan form on this Mail Group, as well as a Script and Procedural Document. In General, we should be ready to receive any requests for assistance that may come our way from any affected areas. We will NOT, at any time, request, accept or re-transmit ANY reports of Law Enforcement activities, nor discuss in any way information that may compromise Security and Safety of any official agencies or personnel that may be operating. Again, I do not anticipate being needed due to EOC/FEMA/AUXCOMM readiness, but you just never know.
I will also be coordinating these Operations with the SATERN 40m and SATERN Digital Net Management, as well as TSA EDS National HQ to keep us all on the same gameplan and allow for both bands to be utilized should conditions warrant.

Please maintain Situational Awareness at all times for yourself and your loved ones, monitor local/national news if possible, and above all else, STAY SAFE as best you can. Hopefully, things will go smoothly with no disruptions and we will witness a smooth, non-violent transfer of power next week.
May God keep you and your Families safe. Thanks for all that you folks do for SATERN and The Salvation Army EDS.

--

'73 (Best Wishes, for non-Hams)

--... ...-- / -.. . / .-- .- ..... .-.. . .

WA5LEE  (Previously KC3LEE)

Lee Glassman, ARRL VE, COM-T, NREMT #E3525310

Tomball, Texas

https://wa5lee.com

SATERN Int’l SSB 20M Net Manager

http://satern.org

Joe Bassett (W1WCN)

Lee,

I will be available at all times. In addition to standing ready to assist with SATERN traffic I will be monitoring as a member of Army MARS and SHARES, which is something I regularly do in these situations. Through the use of remote transceivers and my home location I can monitor and transmit on multiple frequencies simultaneously.

Please let me know how I can be of help.

Joe

On Tue, Jan 12, 2021 at 3:21 PM WA5LEE - Lee - Net Manager via groups.io <leemanpa=me.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

WA5EEZ-Bob <bobrgrs@...>

I’ll be available except for Wednesday evening. If the situation requires activation, I’ll adjust my responsibilities accordingly.
What a mess!

73
Bob
WA5EEZ

On Jan 12, 2021, at 2:47 PM, Joe Bassett (W1WCN) <bassett.w1wcn@...> wrote:

[...]

Paul Zimmer (NI9NE)

I am available for nets from Chicago. I have 20 AND 40 meter capabilities. I also am a SATERN net local operator for our VHF net. I am familiar with the ICS forms and have completed IS 100,200,700 and 800. Paul Zimmer NI9NE

[...]

Jim James (KG5BIM)

I will Be available during those times Lee. Jim KG5BIM

Harry N3FMO <hbauderrm@...>

Yes Lee.  I can monitor and transmit on both frequencies.  I am available for the full time of the activation.

Harry

[...]

Chip Johnson, KD0UST

Me, too, FEMA rated RADO, experienced with NCS,,ICS and public service RTTY and state police dispatch

f i <fi978@...>

I am available on the 20th at any point until about 8p EST.   I have ICS 100-800 and am trained in use of the traffic transfer forms.  I've been net control as a fill in the past for Friday mornings nets when Major Tom was not able to and I've participated as net control in a couple activations.  I have 20 and 40 capabilities, I use Websdr when I am net control so I'm familiar with that also.   You can see my station set up on QRZ.  I'm also available to do RTTY or PSK and when necessary have no problem putting a little heat behind my signal.

73   W9BLF
Bryan

OK Folks, here we stand as of this morning, Monday, Jan 18, 2021:
Thanks to all who responded, both here and privately, for all the offers of availability & assistance.
As of this moment, we do NOT have an activation planned for the immediate future. However, as life can (and often does) throw us curve balls, I am continuing the HOT STANDBY status of the 20M Net, and I believe that the 40M SSB and 20M Digital nets are right there along with us, as well as Central & many other divisional SATERN groups.
The Potomac regional EDS is geared up and fully prepared to respond to support EDS as needed. The National Committee as well as the Territory Directors have done a fine job of getting the 'troops' ready should TSA be needed.
That being said, this past weekend the ARRL sent out a membership-wide email with their definition of what Amateur Radio is all about, and the FCC put out something similar. It seems there has been some Social Media from certain individuals and groups suggesting that Ham Radio frequencies may be used for 'Coordination & Communication', should the normal means of communication be 'suspended or shut down'. I have spoken with some individuals who run very popular nets across the country who have 'met' some very new Hams on their frequencies who have hinted at such activity.
In light of this, I strongly recommend to all SATERN personnel, during this week of uncertainty, maintain vigilance whilst on the air for any such possible activity. If any such communication is heard, if possible, RECORD this info and contact either local authorities or a SATERN or FCC representative. Do not engage these folks in discussions or debate. Our frequency of 14.265 is well known from this net & others, so it might become a popular 'meeting place' for activities. Paranoid? perhaps... Prepared? ABSOLUTELY. Expect the worst and hope for the best, I say.

If anything should develop requiring SATERN to assist TSA EDS or any other group, I will send out a SPECIAL NOTICE (much like THIS one) that EVERYONE will receive, when sent.

In closing, be vigilant, keep your safety and that of your loved ones paramount, and together we will weather any storms that may come our way. May God Bless you and yours, as well as the USA and those that protect and serve it.
--

'73 (Best Wishes, for non-Hams)

--... ...-- / -.. . / .-- .- ..... .-.. . .

WA5LEE  (Previously KC3LEE)

Lee Glassman, ARRL VE, COM-T, NREMT #E3525310

Tomball, Texas

https://wa5lee.com

SATERN Int’l SSB 20M Net Manager

http://satern.org

NW Harris County TX ARES STX Dist. 14 AEC Drill Ops

Houston Methodist Willowbrook Hospital EMCOMM Team

Tomball FD EMCOMM Team

PA Digital Radio Group NCO

https://padmr.net

Northwest Amateur Radio Society

Texas Lonestar DMR Network NCO

http://dmrtexas.net

OMISS #1198

TDXS #219

KA1RSY-ED

The Town of  Acushnet (MA) Office of Emergency Management's EOC  can activate their amateur radio station (WA1EMA) if need be as we did immediately following the Boston Marathon incident. Unfortunately our EOC has a Kenwood 2000 going up an inverted V dipole at 100 watts 20 meters can be a challenge to say the least. I am wondering if there is a SATERN  HF Net for the New England area, anyway take care I think things will be fairly quite and 73. - Ed KA1RSY

Much appreciated, Ed! As per Ken AD5XJ, there are the following Nets that may work for you:
The Eastern Territory net meets on 3.918Mhz 9:30EST, Not sure what day, but if activated, this would be the place.
Boston FRIDAY 21:00 145.230(+) PL88.5
--

'73 (Best Wishes, for non-Hams)