Backup Power

Rob Erikson (KG4OPX) <rperikson1@...>

Hi All,

I changed the email title to Backup Power.   This is a great  topic.

Last weekend we lost power for about 26 hours. I have ventless propane logs, but I did not run them for the entire power outage. Propane is awfully expensive, and I did not want to empty my tank.  Logs use the fuel up extremely quick. For the most part I used my Yamaha 7200DE gasoline generator to keep the refrigerator, space heaters and coffee machine running.  I used an old extremely heavy Yamaha 1Kw generator for my radios, PC, and cable modem.

I never run out of gasoline. For backup truck always has 26 gallons of fresh gas.

Of course, it is important to keep generators outside and away from open windows as well as regular maintenance. It is time to change the oil.

Rob

P.S. I give God thanks for the resources He provides.

From: main@SATERN20.groups.io <main@SATERN20.groups.io> On Behalf Of John KB1TUY
Sent: Saturday, February 20, 2021 8:43 AM
To: main@SATERN20.groups.io
Subject: Re: [SATERN20] Event: WMNI SATERN NET #cal-invite

Natural and propane generators are good with one exception. They use fuel a whole lot faster than gasoline generators. A friend of mine this past week called me and asked me why his propane froze. Propane will do that in very cold weather.

Warren Peiter (WX8OH) <wx8oh@...>

Never say Never. 🙂

I currently have an 8000 Watt old Veteran Dayton Gas Generator. Runs most of house. Well pump, Furnace Blower. Network, TV/Cable if available, Fridge, Microwave, garage door, some Lights. Only missing AC. 

I have a 10? Circuit Manual Transfer box. 

Warren - WX8OH
ARES
SATERN
wx8oh@...

On Feb 20, 2021, at 12:15 PM, Rob Erikson (KG4OPX) <rperikson1@...> wrote:

Hi All,

I changed the email title to Backup Power.   This is a great  topic.

Last weekend we lost power for about 26 hours. I have ventless propane logs, but I did not run them for the entire power outage. Propane is awfully expensive, and I did not want to empty my tank.  Logs use the fuel up extremely quick. For the most part I used my Yamaha 7200DE gasoline generator to keep the refrigerator, space heaters and coffee machine running.  I used an old extremely heavy Yamaha 1Kw generator for my radios, PC, and cable modem.

I never run out of gasoline. For backup truck always has 26 gallons of fresh gas.

Of course, it is important to keep generators outside and away from open windows as well as regular maintenance. It is time to change the oil.

Rob

P.S. I give God thanks for the resources He provides.

From: main@SATERN20.groups.io <main@SATERN20.groups.io> On Behalf Of John KB1TUY
Sent: Saturday, February 20, 2021 8:43 AM
To: main@SATERN20.groups.io
Subject: Re: [SATERN20] Event: WMNI SATERN NET #cal-invite

Natural and propane generators are good with one exception. They use fuel a whole lot faster than gasoline generators. A friend of mine this past week called me and asked me why his propane froze. Propane will do that in very cold weather.

wx8ash@...

Edited

--
Howard Jackson I agree! While living in Spotsylvania, Va on a 5.1 acre track...in a 14' x 80' single wide mobile home...everything was electrical.  One summer there was a bad electrical
storm. My area was without power for 7 days. Buying and storing bulk 5 gal water jugs became a necessity for cooking, hygiene and to keep the toilet flushed. I brought closet lights to
place in every room to use for lighting. Went to every dollar store, Walmart, Home depot, etc to purchase as many as I needed. Brought plenty of batteries. 
After living there for 10 years, enough was enough.  I 'vowed' to sell the property and move. But, the next place I get...the primary goal was to get a genny.  Well, I sold the 5.1 acres,
moved here in Ashland, OH. My first purchase after going to settlement of my home, I brought: A 16Kw Generac Guardian QuietSource Air-Cooled Home Standby Genny. Can use either
NG or LP...I'm currently running NG. It has a 16 circuit feed-point using the Guardian Xfer switch. It goes through a (12 min) self run test every week at the same time. I do my own repairs
and maintenance on it.  Up until a year or two ago...Ashland had a very serious storm...Commercial power went zap...I was on genny power from Wednesday November 27 @ 12:14pm to
Thursday November 28 @ 5:12pm I also have UPS's for my TV's and computers.  Good to have....comes in handy....when needed.

John KB1TUY

We have a 9500 watt generator tied in to the electric panel here had to use it once this winter so far. Always good to have a generator and not need it than need one and not have one.

VE5SR/CIW406 Steve <steve.lenaghan@...>

We keep a stash of gallon milk jugs with town water, our low flush toilet is just right size, so hold your nose and don't flush every time.

Our RO tanks have 5 gallons and I keep an extra 5 gallon in the porch.  Municipal water is safe but undrinkable because of high manganese, you must have coffee and Netflix to survive

73 Steve VE5SR

wx8ash@...

--
Howard Jackson: Ooops! My mistake! "Fact checked" my own outage statement: Outage not (4) days as stated; that was another Virginia outage.
Outage date: Wednesday November 27, 2019 @ 12:14pm to Thursday November 28, 2019 @ 5:12pm. I had retrieved the 2019 Calendar where
I had the date and time marked.  My Apology!