Happy Sunday!

As we enter this busy pre-holiday week, I wanted to touch base with all of you on a few topics.

First and foremost, Ken AG6SV, will be officially retiring as Net Manager this Tuesday (Beethoven's Birthday). Please take a moment to thank him for all he has done for SATERN and wish him well. I, for one, am eternally grateful for his mentorship and guidance in making me (hopefully) a better Net control Station. I only hope that I can do half as well as he did as incoming Manager.

NETLOGGER - I have finally recorded the extensive PowerPoint training as a narrated training video. It can be viewed HERE:  https://youtu.be/9I7eUHT5CNU
It tells you everything you ever wanted to know about working with NetLogger, getting it installed, usage with nets, etc.

EMAIL Reflector - I will be transitioning the entire existing SATERN mailing list to this email reflector this week. If you are currently subscribed here already, you should not get an invitation to join, although there may be some that get through. My apologies in advance, as there are over 350 email addresses in the various lists I have received from Ken and it is a bit of a chore to sort them properly. Once we get everyone on this system it will be much easier to keep you all informed in the event of an Emergency Activation, Training Opportunities and Events, upcoming special Net Activations, etc.

BACKUP NET CONTROL STATIONS - I would like to begin recruiting for backup net control stations. In the event that a scheduled NCS has a hardware/weather related shutdown, seriously unsolvable QRM/Propagation issues, sudden illness, etc. I would like to see a DESIGNATED station be trained and scheduled to be ready to take over as backup. There are several of you that would make excellent choices, with great stations and skills. Keep this in mind if you might be interested. More to come on this after the Holidays are over! (In the meantime, LEARN NetLogger, hint hint)
With that in mind, there may be some existing NCS that will be unable/unwilling to use NetLogger for their scheduled nets. If there are stations that can assist by doing the actual LOGGING for these stations, that would be an acceptable alternative. You would need to be able to clearly communicate with the actual NCS, naturally.

Traffic Handling Exercises - As we hit the New Year, we will be implementing Traffic Handling into our normal net routine. If we are ever to be called upon by an entity during a crisis or emergency as a Communications Resource, we will need to be able to EFFICIENTLY and CORRECTLY pass on traffic that we may encounter, be it from MARS, the Red Cross, ARES/EMCOMM, DHS and of course The Salvation Army. There will be officially designated Traffic Handling Stations that must be familiar with the ARRL RadioGram as well as the official ICS213 forms that almost ALL of the served agencies in the US are using. We have a dedicated sub-group here on this forum where interested members can use as a resource for training, questions, etc. W9AUA, Dick from WI is one of the folks who pretty much 'wrote the book' with regards to NTS Traffic Handling and training, and he has graciously volunteered to head up this forum. He maintains a website that offers many courses in Traffic Handling that would be quite useful in getting 'up to speed' on just how to handle these important and often life-saving messages. Keep this in mind as well if you would be willing to assist as a Traffic Handling Station. One of Ken's biggest regrets is that he did not spend enough time preparing us for actual emergency traffic handling and I would very much like to rectify that in his honor.

I thank you all for your continued involvement in SATERN. As we move past this most difficult year, I am hopeful that together we can continue the fine efforts of helping to protect others and be the voice for those that have had their lives disrupted due to calamity. As our mandate states "The purpose of this net is to establish a pool of trained operators for emergency communications that will benefit the Salvation Army's Disaster Response".

With luck, we will never need to be called upon when all else fails. But in the event we are, we will be ready for it. I will do everything in my power to be sure that we are, and I am very grateful to all of you for participating in our efforts. As always, feel free to contact me with any questions, comments or suggestions you may have. Email me anytime at satern@...

Blessings to all for a most Wonderful Holiday Season from my Family to Yours!

WA5LEE - Lee Glassman
Incoming SATERN Net Manager

Bob 6

Thank you so very much!
Great information that is well thought out and explained...
Bob
Ki6mgk