From: "WA5LEE - Lee - Net Manager via groups.io"
Sent: Jan 7, 2021 8:56 AM
To: main@SATERN20.groups.io
Subject: [SATERN20] SATERN DMR check in Net #poll-notice

A new poll has been created:

If we were to develop a DMR BrandMeister TalkGroup specifically for SATERN and host a bi-weekly or Monthly check in fellowship net, would you be interested in checking in to such a net?

1. Yes! Absolutely. Great idea.
2. I would not be interested.

Vote Now

KD4QNA - Pete <KD4QNA@...>

Hey Lee,

Can you provide any additional detail on this? Trying to understand the strategy and how it fits into SA and SATERN Comms and what currently exists on HF, digi, and VHF before I decide.

Thanks!

Pete
KD4QNA

On Thu, Jan 7, 2021 at 9:56 AM WA5LEE - Lee - Net Manager via groups.io <leemanpa=me.com@groups.io> wrote:

A new poll has been created:

If we were to develop a DMR BrandMeister TalkGroup specifically for SATERN and host a bi-weekly or Monthly check in fellowship net, would you be interested in checking in to such a net?

1. Yes! Absolutely. Great idea.
2. I would not be interested.

Vote Now

WX8BOB BOB

Depending on day & Time I will be glad to do NCS. BB
--
Weather Bob

It would give ALL Territories in the Organization the opportunity to check in to a single net, regardless of HF priv’s, allow Tech-class to participate, give us another mode of operation we could theoretically use during a disaster (like the Hurricane net, ARES, ARC do) etc…

Just a preliminary idea sparked by a couple inquiries I got, so it’s basically dough. Perhaps someday Bread.. 😊

'73 (Best Wishes, for non-Hams)

--... ...-- / -.. . / .-- .- ..... .-.. . .

WA5LEE  (Previously KC3LEE)

Lee Glassman, ARRL VE, COM-T, NREMT #E3525310

Tomball, Texas

https://wa5lee.com

SATERN Int’l SSB 20M Net Manager

http://satern.org

NW Harris County TX ARES STX Dist. 14 AEC Drill Ops

Houston Methodist Willowbrook Hospital EMCOMM Team

Tomball FD EMCOMM Team

PA Digital Radio Group NCO

https://padmr.net

Northwest Amateur Radio Society

Texas Lonestar DMR Network NCO

http://dmrtexas.net

OMISS #1198

TDXS #219

Can you provide any additional detail on this? Trying to understand the strategy and how it fits into SA and SATERN Comms and what currently exists on HF, digi, and VHF before I decide.

Thanks!

Pete

KD4QNA

On Thu, Jan 7, 2021 at 9:56 AM WA5LEE - Lee - Net Manager via groups.io <leemanpa=me.com@groups.io> wrote:

A new poll has been created:

If we were to develop a DMR BrandMeister TalkGroup specifically for SATERN and host a bi-weekly or Monthly check in fellowship net, would you be interested in checking in to such a net?

1. Yes! Absolutely. Great idea.
2. I would not be interested.

Vote Now

Monique Vo - KG5WDF <kg5wdf@...>

I don’t know much about DMR BrandMeister, but doesn’t it require you to have access to the internet?  In a disaster, if the internet is working, why would we need ham radio?  Just as on normal days, conventional means of communications (e.g., cell phones, email, landlines, Skype, Zoom, etc.) would suffice in such disaster.

Monique

KG5WDF

Can you provide any additional detail on this? Trying to understand the strategy and how it fits into SA and SATERN Comms and what currently exists on HF, digi, and VHF before I decide.

Thanks!

Pete

KD4QNA

On Thu, Jan 7, 2021 at 9:56 AM WA5LEE - Lee - Net Manager via groups.io <leemanpa=me.com@groups.io> wrote:

A new poll has been created:

If we were to develop a DMR BrandMeister TalkGroup specifically for SATERN and host a bi-weekly or Monthly check in fellowship net, would you be interested in checking in to such a net?

1. Yes! Absolutely. Great idea.
2. I would not be interested.

Vote Now

Dave W3EO <w3eo@...>

I voted Yes and can work DMR crossmode.  I use a hotspot with a fusion radio.  I prefer fusion - better audio quality and easier to setup IMHO.  Why DMR?

I believe in using all communications methods available to us as needed.  Setting up a digital link via DMR/YSF, etc. adds expanded capability.  With a laptop with a USB headset and software called Peanut you don't need a radio at all if your situation mandates that.

73

Dave W3EO

On Thu, Jan 7, 2021 at 05:24 PM, Monique Vo - KG5WDF wrote:
I don’t know much about DMR BrandMeister, but doesn’t it require you to have access to the internet?  In a disaster, if the internet is working, why would we need ham radio?  Just as on normal days, conventional means of communications (e.g., cell phones, email, landlines, Skype, Zoom, etc.) would suffice in such disaster.
Monique, the same argument could be made for having a Traffic Net that relies on local repeaters. The power is going out alongside the Internet. Rendering YOUR favorite VHF net useless. As will the Digital Traffic Modes such as WINLINK and VHF/UHF fldigi, which also rely on the Internet. (although relays can be used to reach an internet-connected gateway, it is generally assumed that no LOCAL Gateways in the proximity of a major disaster will be available either and that is why the majority of Traffic Handling/EMCOMM is done through HF. This eliminates Technician-class operators from much of the game)

The Salvation Army is not only a Disaster response organization. It was originally (and still IS) a Ministry of Goodwill. Long before you or I were Ham Radio operators, we were a Fellowship-based Organization that brought people together. We now have over 20 different sub-groups, many different Nets, on many different days/times/modes etc. Sometimes, it can be a great emotional benefit for people with a common interest to be able to talk to others, even if it is just a chance to have their call signs listed in a check in net. If SATERN, in it's many iterations, can fulfill an emotional or spiritual need for people, then I say we have fulfilled our Mission to bring solace and comfort to others.

This is an idea that was brought up by a few forward-thinking members who thought it might be a good idea to widen up SATERN from the rag-chew that it has generally become and perhaps try out a newer form of communication, now that DMR has become so prevalent in the radio world.
And, while it is TRUE that BRANDMEISTER HOTSPOTS require an Internet Connection, it is quite easy to bridge any of the thousands of physical DMR repeaters (cBridge, BM, TGIF, etc) to this SATERN TalkGroup in an emergency.
The idea is to not limit ourselves to any one mode or band and allow the hundreds of SATERN folks another tool in the toolbox. As well as allowing the MANY non-HF privileged people in the USA, Canada and elsewhere to participate in SATERN in some way. There are a lot of people out in the middle of nowhere who don't HAVE HF, or lousy antennas, or the ability to reach people on their radios other than through the Internet-based digital modes.

And, to further expand upon your statement 'if the internet is working why need Ham Radio', I don't know how involved you are on the 'Professional' side of Emergency Communications Infrastructure and Disaster Management, but I will tell you right now, since 9-11, the communications backup plans/deployable comms resources have become so vast that Communications will be back up VERY fast after a disaster occurs. Often within hours. The argument can be made (and often IS, at this point) that there is NO NEED WHATSOEVER for Amateur Radio in disaster scenarios anymore, except in extreme circumstances. That does not stop us from practicing traffic handling and holding nets and training endlessly for the day when we just MIGHT be called upon. Many people feel that Radiograms serve no purpose, since all you have to do is pick up a cell phone or send an email. We still practice with them.

So, in MY view, anyway, why NOT investigate the possibility for SATERN to communicate within and without our group in a new and different way? (that does NOT involve static) HI HI

--

'73 (Best Wishes, for non-Hams)

--... ...-- / -.. . / .-- .- ..... .-.. . .

WA5LEE  (Previously KC3LEE)

Lee Glassman, ARRL VE, COM-T, NREMT #E3525310

Tomball, Texas

https://wa5lee.com

SATERN Int’l SSB 20M Net Manager

http://satern.org

NW Harris County TX ARES STX Dist. 14 AEC Drill Ops

Houston Methodist Willowbrook Hospital EMCOMM Team

Tomball FD EMCOMM Team

PA Digital Radio Group NCO

https://padmr.net

Northwest Amateur Radio Society

Texas Lonestar DMR Network NCO

http://dmrtexas.net

OMISS #1198

TDXS #219

Agreed on the YSF clarity. I have been one of the biggest proponents of Dig Radio since long before I moved to Texas or even HEARD of SATERN. I am the co-founder of the PA Digital Radio Group, which started out with3 people over DMR and now has hundreds of members and huge weekly statewide nets. I ran (in addition to a VHF and UHF DMR Repeater, both BrandMeister) an XLX reflector (the first in the Northeast) that bridged DMR, YSF and D*Star together on TG 31425, PA Crossmode.

While Fusion/WiresX DOES in fact have better clarity (as does NXDN and p25, for the record) I figured I would start the discussion starting with DMR, for the sole reason that a DMR CCR (Cheap Chinese Radio) is a less costly investment than a YSF-capable rig (OR D*Star, p25, etc). You can get a DMR radio/Hotspot combo for less than $100 bucks these days.

Of course, if interest in this thing grows, it would be easy for SATERN to add a YSF node, D*Star room and the others on a reflector, even on a VPS in the cloud (I have done it, lol) Problem has been transcoding from DMR/YSF to D*star, since the hardware is $$ for them little dongles. But even THAT is becoming unnecessary due to SOFTWARE based transcoding, such as with the Peanut system, DudeStar, DroidStar, etc.. Not to mention M17, which from all appearances so far will be even less expensive and better audio quality than the ‘big 4’ down the line.

Of course, those that use HotSpots will be able to check in to the DMR TG using YSF2DMR. ALL would be welcome to participate, the more the merrier.  But I did not want to put the cart before the horsey. As it is, I already have people saying that ‘there is no need for SATERN to use any of them thar digital radio things’.. lol

My burden to bear, unfortunately.

Wouldn’t it be sweet if the day comes when, on a bi-weekly SATERN INT’L FELLOWSHIP DIGITAL RADIO NET, we get an average of 250-300 callsigns checking in cross-mode? (I just pity the fool that has to be NCS, lol, probably have to take shifts)

'73 (Best Wishes, for non-Hams)

--... ...-- / -.. . / .-- .- ..... .-.. . .

[...]

Harry N3FMO <hbauderrm@...>

Amen

On Thu, Jan 7, 2021 at 6:24 PM Monique Vo - KG5WDF <kg5wdf@...> wrote:

[...]

Rob Erikson (KG4OPX) <rperikson1@...>

In NC Baptists Men's Disaster Relief we are in the process of setting up a DMR Talk Group.

While travelling I have used my HT and DMR hotspot. I use my cellphone for internet access. It works great. I mainly use DMR and D-Star.

73,
Rob - KG4OPX

Rob Erikson (KG4OPX) <rperikson1@...>

NC Baptists Men's Disaster is in the process of setting up a DMR Group.

While travelling I have used my cell phone as a hot spot for internet access along with my HT and DMR hotspot.

73,
Rob - KG4OPX

KD4QNA - Pete <KD4QNA@...>

It seems that DMR (which can also be used across ham digital platforms, DStar, Fusion, etc.) would be another tool in the communications kit. These days there are so many ways to communicate, one can’t rely completely on any one of them either before, during or after a disaster, not even the amateur bands.

Since I am a communications specialist first, who happens to be an amateur radio operator, I am going to use whatever tool and frequencies that a served agency needs to communicate whether analog, digital including computers and the internet, voice, data, whatever.

Further, developing hybrid resources that use RF and internet together or separately allows communications to be achieved. Winlink is a prime example of this.

DMR is a mode that has the potential to achieve what Lee/WA5LEE has stated for SATERN. If we are committed to serving the Salvation Army/SATERN, strengthening it and helping it to grow, then employing DMR seems to be a valid way of doing so.

Pete
KD4QNA

On Thu, Jan 7, 2021 at 6:24 PM Dave W3EO <w3eo@...> wrote:
[...]

David Roberts (K8RDG)

I like the idea for several reasons:
- It expands the SATERN network to Technician Class individuals.
- It's another comms option / network that's available if HF isn't, or to be used simultaneously if necessary.
- It promotes the use of DMR which I've had for a while, and don't use.
- I like the occasional test/check-in using DMR to make sure it works and promote familiarity.

Good idea Lee.

Dave
K8RDG

David Holman

Lee,

I am a digital anything fan.  I am not an internet fan for anything emergency related.  But it does make life easier so if you got use it.  As long as you understand that it might go away when you need it most.  It is a good practice medium.  I have a DMR, but I don't have access to Brandmeister.  All the repeaters here that I can hit are DMR-MARC connected.  I have a hotspot, but haven't set it up for DMR yet.

I will keep monitoring and if it takes off, then I will set my hotspot up.

Thanks for doing that.

David, AC7DS

wx8ash@...

Yes!   I'm a regular check-in, into the Ohio DMR Net on Talk Group 3139 every Wednesday at 8:30pm. This would be an excellent Idea for S.A.T.E.R.N.
Howard

Outstanding responses from all of you folks! The idea has been presented to the National Committee at our meeting this week and was enthusiastically received... Just have to get through some small hoops to get it fully approved and put into place.

I will start to draw up a calendar and a sub-group just for the DMR net for separate discussions and scheduling/instructions as we move forward. Again, thanks for your responses and input!
--

'73 (Best Wishes, for non-Hams)

--... ...-- / -.. . / .-- .- ..... .-.. . .

WA5LEE  (Previously KC3LEE)

Lee Glassman, ARRL VE, COM-T, NREMT #E3525310

Tomball, Texas

https://wa5lee.com

SATERN Int’l SSB 20M Net Manager

http://satern.org

ND4BT/KJ4YMV

Excellent suggestion.  DMR isn't just a hot spot/internet.  Access is also through repeaters and links.  Any radio communication is  better than nothing.  It seems society is predisposed to think they may just pick up their cell phones and make a call.  I have been where storms have devastated an area and there was no cell phone and/or it was very limited.

Howard Jackson (WX8ASH)

Hello, Lee!  What's the Repeater Name (ID), RX/TX frequency, Color Code and Time Slot of the upcoming weekly SATERN DMR Nets?
Tnx....Howard,